Appleton Farms CSA seeks 2 more apprentices to fill out our crew for the 2014 season. Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continually operating farms in the country and is managed by the Trustees of Reservations, a Massachusetts nonprofit land conservation organization. Vegetables are grown on 24 acres of land, 4 acres of which are dedicated to pick-your-own crops. In addition to the 550 member CSA, we sell a small amount of vegetables through the Appleton Farms Dairy Store and to a few wholesale accounts. We also aim to donate 2-3 tons of produce per year to local hunger relief organizations. Other farm operations include haying, dairy and livestock, and educational and community events. The farm is convenient to several towns, to beautiful beaches, and to the commuter rail to Boston.
The CSA apprenticeship at Appleton is a learning and working experience. Apprentices will be involved in all aspects of organic vegetable production for our 550 shareholders. Responsibilities include:
• General farm work: planting, seeding, weeding, hoeing, harvesting, post harvest vegetable handling, cleanup, building and grounds projects, special farm projects.
• Tractor work: each apprentice will be trained in the safe operation and maintenance of one of the CSA’s tractors and its implements, and will also gain familiarity with much of the equipment used by the CSA crew.
• Shareroom hours: Each apprentice has the option to choose one distribution day to work during the week. The responsibilities in the shareroom include stocking, checking in shareholders and ensuring a positive experience for visitors.
• Returning apprentices have the option to take on more responsibility, such as managing the greenhouse, pick-you-own fields, tractor cultivation, or managing harvest days.
The ideal candidates will posses the following qualifications:
• Ability to handle physically strenuous, repetitive tasks in all weather. Ability to work bending over for hours at a time each day. Apprentices should also be able to lift 50 lbs
• Apprentices should possess the ability to work quickly, and desire to learn to work faster.
• Good communication skills, sense of humor, upbeat attitude.
• Detail-oriented and punctual
• A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
• Previous farming experience is a plus.
• We are particularly excited about applicants who are interested in potentially staying on for a two-season apprenticeship.
The apprenticeship runs 31 weeks from April 7th, 2014 to November 7th 2014. Hours vary seasonally from 40-55 hours/per week. Apprentices work Monday-Friday and are also asked to work one Saturday morning per month during the height of the season (June-September). Pay starts at $9/hour and housing is available at beautiful Greenwood Farm for $50/week (this includes a private room, utilities, laundry and internet). Other benefits include employer sponsored health insurance, one week paid vacation, paid lunch break, and the option to attend educational trainings such as CRAFT visits and the NOFA summer conference.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to CSA Manager Lise Holdorf at firstname.lastname@example.org