Norwell Farms is hiring a Farm Educator to run and expand our summer farm program. In 2015, we ran a sold-out pilot summer program, where over 80 kids ages 5-10 participated in farm chores, learned how to care for livestock at the farm, and helped with vegetable planting and harvesting.
We are now looking to hire an experienced Farm Educator to carry out and expand our summer programming for children as well as building year-round educational programming for children and adults.
The Farm Educator will report to the Farm Director and work with the Board of Directors to design additional programming at Norwell Farms. Our Farm Educator will run all administrative aspects of the summer & education programs, and will need to hire and manage 1-2 Assistant Farm Educators for the summer.
The position is seasonal, part-time for the 2016 season starting April 1st 2016. Pay is commensurate with experience. Although the position in 2016 will be hourly, we anticipate expanding this position to a seasonal, full-time salaried role in the coming seasons.
- Managing and running Farm Fun Days, workshops, and other educational programs, as well as tracking and maintaining budgets for these programs.
- Hold weekly summer story times and advertise them locally and via social media.
- The Farm Educator would be responsible for some farm-related chores and daily care of livestock (chickens & pigs).
- Help increase the number of field trips to the farm by outside groups/organizations
- Work with the Farm Director to create and implement Farm-to-School and Farm to Community Initiatives.
- Create and run workshops at the farm to teach children and adults in the community about the farm and sustainable agriculture
- Work at all four nonprofit community events held at Norwell Farms. (Wake up the Farm Spring Event, Farm to Fork Dinner, Harvest Festival & Winter Gathering: Holiday at the Farm)
Successful Applicants Will Have:
- An education background and/or experience with farm-based education.
- Have experience working with groups of children ages 5+ in at a school, camp or other setting.
- Be physically capable of strenuous labor necessary to do farm and barnyard chores.
- Have farming or gardening experience as well as an appreciation for nature and teaching outdoors.
- Be comfortable working with farm animals (chickens and pigs).
- Have a flexible approach to teaching and collaborating under changeable working conditions including heat and bad weather.
- Have excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Pass CORI and SORI checks.
- Be First Aid Certified
Deadline: February 15, 2016
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com or via mail to Jo Randolph, Norwell Farms, 4 Jacobs Lane, Norwell, MA 02061. We look forward to hearing from you!
About Norwell Farms:
Norwell Farms is a 14-acre community farm on the South Shore of Massachusetts. Norwell Farms began as a town vote to start a CSA on 1.5 acres of town land. 2016 is our 7th growing season based at the historic Jacobs Farm on Main Street in Norwell. We have rejuvenated this historic farm and reconnected the Norwell Community to a local, working vegetable farm.
In 2015, Norwell Farms was awarded $10,000 from the Seeds of Change® grant program to establish an education program at the farm and create and implement a farm to school program. We are now seeking to hire a Farm Educator to help us accomplish this exciting task.